Saturday, May 7, 2011

2 Days Old!

I can't even begin to explain to you how cute this little boy is!  Of course I'm partial but believe me when I say HE IS PERFECT!

Today started with us rushing around this morning so that we could quickly get to Children's Hospital to see Joshua.  We were told that today we would probably get to hold him so we didn't want to delay.  It was so wonderful....needless to say, an emotional moment.  Since his back is in the process of healing, he had to lay on his tummy.  They put a pillow underneath him and a little "donut" for his head and he was able to lay on our laps for about an hour each.  Lucky for Matt, I needed to pump otherwise I'm not sure I would have let go of him.  This gives us so much excitement for when we get to pick him up with no restrictions and cradle him in our arms.  We probably won't put him down for a year! :)

They still haven't fed him yet. He's getting lipids and vitamins intravenously for nutrition.  They didn't want to feed him before his surgery and now he is on morphine for pain so they don't think he would be very receptive to a bottle.  They don't foresee me being able to nurse him for at least another week unfortunately.  Something else to look forward to!

We went back to UAB so that I could rest for a few hours while the NICU is closed for shift change between 2pm and 4pm.  We visited him again tonight for a few short hours.  I had to take it easier today because I pushed my body too far yesterday.  My nurses weren't very happy with me but I don't regret a second of it. :) 

We look forward to seeing him again tomorrow. It will be my first Mother's Day and a wonderful one at that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment